Thursday, August 25, 2011

Devil’s Tower, WY / Billings, MT


Tuesday, August 16

We got up and started fairly early, ditching the crappy campsite for an early look at Devil’s Tower National Monument. It was our nation’s first national monument.



Then on the road toward Billings, MT!

Odometer check: the Champagne Chevy turned 22,000 miles on this drive.

The 5+-hour drive showcased more Jack Kerouac/”On the Road”. More stark, beautiful prairie. My first view of oil pumps on the prairie. A red highway (it's what's local, you know). And then … my first glimpse of them … the Rockies! Take a look at them in the background in this photo here …


We made it to Billings about mid-afternoon and went directly to Metra RV Center. I had called ahead a few days ago to see if anyone in Billings could fit me in to take care of this blasted wastewater pipe issue. Metra RV sounded like they could fit me in and order the part quickly if I would just stop by when I got to town. So I did.

Miracle of miracles – Kurt the service man there took a look, said it was only the cable that needed replaced, not the full valve, and he did the fix within an hour and 15 minutes.

We love Billings!  J

Finally!!! This thing has been broken since the Finger Lakes, NY. I am finally, finally fixed. Nice.

Now I’ve just got to get this “check engine” thing looked at. It’s remained on again/off again since South Dakota. Time to get that looked at, too.

When I pulled into Metra RV, Paige called and came to pick me up until the Champagne Chevy was done. It was so good to see her! I haven’t seen her since 2004, when I was in Billings for vacation over the July 4 timeframe. How do seven years pass so quickly?

Once the RV was done, I followed Paige home and said hello to her husband, Chris, and son, Jay. (Daughter, Virginia Lynne (a.k.a. Gigi), was in Georgia till Friday.) Chris’s brother, Andrew, and son, Asher, were in town, and I was invited along to Chris’s parents house, Jay and Lynne Montague, for dinner. The Montague’s were extremely welcoming and fed me very well. And they are very entertaining - what a funny, funny night.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment