Saturday, August 13, 2011

Minneapolis, MN


Monday-Thursday, August 8-11

I love Minneapolis, City of Lakes!

This is a great city. Green. Lots of lakes. People out everywhere – walking, running, biking. Liz told me it’s the highest percentage of the population in the U.S. that bike-commutes (even in the snow!). They recycle a high percentage of their waste/trash, so they are highly environmentally focused, as well. It’s awesome.

(And now I know you all have one word for me: Winter!  J) 

On Tuesday morning, I had a 10.00 appointment at the CampingWorld in a Minneapolis suburb. Finally time to get the wastewater pipe fixed. Auggie and I got to the store and ended up spending close to five (5!) hours waiting for the van to be ready. Aaarrrggghhh. When the tech finally came to check in with me 45 mins after we got there, he told me he’d only just gotten the van on the lift. Ugh. This was gonna be a long process! And when I asked them to do an oil change, since I was there, it added another 90 minutes to the wait. Since when does it take 90 minutes to do an oil change???

Ended up that the tech was able to reconnect the pipe that had separated, so I won’t be leaking dishwater onto the ground anymore. But the open/close valve for the wastewater system is Roadtrek-specific. That means that the part has to be ordered and CampingWorld would have taken a week to receive it. POOP!

In the end, I’m partially fixed, but not 100%. The CampingWorld guy showed me how to climb under the van and open/close the valve with a pair of pliers. I will still need to locate a Roadtrek dealer as we move forward and see if we can figure out a day when we will be someplace that has the part and can fit us in for the valve replacement. Maybe Billings? Gotta research it.

On Wednesday morning, I used Liz & Bryan’s super-fast WiFi connection (what a luxury!) to do some research into South Dakota national parks (Badlands, Mount Rushmore) and camping sites. I got arrangements made forward till Billings.

Auggie and I then took off into the city to see Minnehaha Falls. Wow! Another reason to love Minneapolis – they were right in the middle of the city and so pretty. Here are some photos of the loveliness.





 Wednesday evening I made my way to a sister dojo, the Feminist Eclectic/Five Element Martial Arts and Shifu Koré Grate, whom I had just had the pleasure of seeing at camp back in Brockport. I threw on my gi and was honored to take an Iaido sword class with Shifu Koré, and then a self-defense class. What a fun night! Thank you, Shifu Koré and FEMA, for welcoming me to your lovely dojo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment