Friday, August 12, 2011

Sail across Lake Michigan / Door County, WI


Friday, August 5


I Won!

Because there may be children reading this blog, I have not posted the photo of the deceased rodent. Suffice it to say that the score is now:

Mouse 0 : Chris 10

(When you die, you lose all your points.)

I will still set the traps tonight, though, to see if there are any additional “stowaways” on board. I am no longer messing around.

Not being a morning person, I overslept and we got a bit of a late start to our morning. But we were not far from the ferry and were there in five minutes. We pulled off to the section with other pets going on board and met Annie, the cute black lab puppy and Eli, the adorable German Shepherd puppy. Awwwwwww.




And off we sailed on the S.S Badger across Lake Michigan. Good-bye, Michigan.


Hello, Wisconsin.

As we were getting off the ferry, there were a few guys on Harleys getting off right in front of us. They were headed out to South Dakota for the yearly biker rally in Sturgis, SD.  If we’re not careful, we might get caught right in the middle of that. Part of me thinks it would be fun to see and experience. The other part of me wants nothing to do with it. We’ll see how our itinerary shapes up …

I also noticed that my phone reset itself to central time zone. Bye bye, east coast! 

We disembarked the ferry at Manitowoc, Wisconsin. We were heading to Door County. But as I took a look at the map, I couldn’t help but notice that Green Bay was a quick jaunt up to the northwest – so we went. I wanted to visit the Superbowl Champion Green Bay Packers’ city!

You know you are in Packers’ country when ten minutes into the drive there was a huge sign on a farm bordering the highway that said “Honk 4 Packers”. They like their football champs here.

There were also lots of beautiful green fields, red barns and billowy clouds in a blue, blue sky. And with names like Kellnerville, you can tell there is a lot of German heritage, too. (Kellner = “waiter” in German) 

Green Bay is a cute small city, smaller than I expected, with no skyline to speak of. And then I found Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers. What a surprise – I thought for sure there would be huge signs on the stadium proclaiming it the home of the Superbowl Champions – there wasn’t. How modest of the Packers.
 




I got a cheesehead while I was there!

I love my cheesehead!

(Sorry, Mitchell, I know the Packers beat your beloved Steelers for the championship, but I just couldn’t help it …)

Then it was off to Door County (I took my cheesehead off to drive) and our campsite just outside of lovely little Egg Harbor. 



We set up camp, cooked dinner, read some more of Potter and then drifted off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment