Thursday, October 6, 2011

California Coast / Into San Francisco Area


Friday, September 23

Knowing my state of driving exhaustion from the previous day, I was looking forward to getting to the San Francisco area and putting the coast behind me. I can’t say I was disappointed to have the beautiful Pacific coastline to look at during my morning drive (it’s just too pretty), but I was glad to be fresh from a good night’s sleep as I mentally prepared myself for more windy, craggy, curvy road. OMG – I am exhausted from this.

But suddenly, around one more craggy hairpin, we came up out of the turn to see a sight that made me gasp audibly … fog, nothing but fog, for as far as the eye could see.


The fog had rolled in so thick along the coast that no ocean was visible anywhere. And we were above it – it’s like when you look out the window of an airplane and see only the cloud cover below you. There was nothing below us but fog. The only thing that reminded me we still had our feet on the ground was the barking of seals below us on the rocks. It was mystical.



We continued our drive south on Highway 1 and then through some more winding, up-and-down hills to the Point Reyes National Seashore. My nerves were about shot by this point, so Auggie and I took a long walk on the beach. But then both he and I reluctantly climbed back into it for the next leg of our drive. Can someone just please magic us to our campsite tonight?




Alas, it was not to be. I had to drive us. Gratefully, traffic on a Friday afternoon in the San Francisco area was not as bad as I thought it would be. I’ve definitely had worse in DC. We went over the Richmond Bay Bridge to the north of the city and down into the Oakland area on the east side of the Bay. I had a 9.00 am martial arts class planned for the following morning – it was going to be an early morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment