Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oakland and San Francisco


Saturday, September 24

Unlike previous times when I’ve had to set a morning alarm on this trip, I did not hit the snooze button, and I made it to my class on time.

The workout at Hand to Hand Kajukenbo in Oakland was AWESOME. First, I got to work out for the first time in a long time with Ja Shia. Ja is a Black Belt from my school in DC, DC Self-Defense Karate Association (DCSDKA). He’s been out in the Bay Area for about five years now. Though we miss him terribly at home in DC, I’m so glad he’s in good hands here in Oakland. It was great to work out with his intensity again.

And Shifu Sonya was a great instructor. Fun, funny and lots of diversity in the class. First, some good warm-up exercises and stretches, then some forms (Ja and I did a DCSDKA form together for the class). Then we did some moving basics across the floor and some standing self-defense work. Several times working with partners, I found myself on the floor, giggling since I had no idea how I had landed there. Thanks to strong and safe partnering with others, the falls were not painful. But it was definitely fun to be taken down in creative and effective ways by skilled martial artists! This was followed by some mat work, where we rolled, practiced self defense and even did a little grappling.



The intensity of spirit at Hand to Hand was marked. They are an excellent dojo, and I enjoyed my time there very much. After class, Ja and I reviewed and practiced our DCSDKA forms, since it had been some time since he had done them all. And then it was off for a very quick shower at Ja and Janne’s apartment, followed by a drive into the Marina district of San Francisco (right next to the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge) for a late lunch snack with my friend, Brian.

Auggie got his first taste of San Francisco by the water, since finding a parking spot for my big van was not easy in this part of the city. Brian needed to dash (I had gotten there late due to my need for a shower and the city traffic), but Auggie and I eventually found a parking spot big enough that allowed us to walk around, grab a coffee and window shop a bit.

We passed through Chinatown on our way through the city. I told a friend at home that I would pick up a few things for them if I was able, so I took the plunge and decided to try and park the van again in the city. (Am I crazy?) Amazingly, I was able to find a place to park. It was on a hill, but I did OK backing uphill into a parking spot. I fed the meter for an hour and off we went.


Auggie LOVED the smells of Chinatown. Mostly, he was sniffing the meat flavors from the cardboard boxes outside the food stores. But we had fun dodging people on the street and window-shopping. I was able to find the items for my friend, so we went back to the van and headed back toward the Oakland area and our campsite.

We got stuck in Saturday afternoon/evening traffic, though, heading out of the city, and here I have to say that the Champagne Chevy is best on the wide open road! Traffic jams and bumper-to-bumper traffic are not much fun in this big old beast. Especially not in a hilly city.

But at last we were back at our spot and ready for some food and a quiet evening. Fun day in the city! Good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment