Saturday, July 30, 2011

Special Training (martial arts camp)



Thursday-Sunday, July 21-24

Thursday morning we left Hamlin Beach and headed to SUNY Brockport, just a few miles away. First, though, I had to drop Auggie at a local kennel. Another killer-hot day – close to 90 degrees by 10.00 in the morning. Ugh. I was informed by the kennel that they have air-conditioned runs. Whew. Auggie probably will not set foot outside; he is no dummy.

I got to camp just in time to register and head over to the opening ceremonies. “Bloody hot” does not even begin to describe the feeling of more than 130 women in a stifling-hot gym with no air moving.

Despite the heat, it was a good camp this year. I had a fun time playing. Finally used my sword/bokken, which I had gotten for Christmas last year, for several classes. Also learned a new weapon, tonfa, and found out that I like them very much. Took several Malaysian Silat Gayeng classes, as well as a Hojojutsu class, which is the Japanese art of rope tying. I now know how to do basic ties that will choke and confine my attacker on the Samurai battlefield. Very cool!

Great time with the DCSDKA sisters, which is really the best part of Special Training every year. Though we were a small group, we had a great time and giggled a lot. Mostly, I think they were laughing at me, after my one-beer-induced giggling fit …



... and the horrible case of poison ivy that I had while I was there. I usually get it at least once per summer ... from my dear old dog. Auggie runs through anything, oblivious to what he's running through. I, however, know that the evil, evil plant looks like this: 



I participated in the Saturday-night demo, as part of the board-breaking crew. A particular highlight was when Sensei Middleton came out and broke a board over my head. The crowd seemed to like that one very much!  J

At the end of the demo, I had a particularly serendipitous moment: when they pulled the winning raffle ticket for free entry to next year’s camp … I won! A second after my brain had registered that the number called was mine, I stood up, fists pumped high in the air, and did a whooping prance down the stairs that would have done any “The Price is Right” contestant proud. I even clicked my heels in the air once or twice on the way to the microphone to receive my gift. Something tells me this is going to be a good trip!  J

I left camp Sunday afternoon sleep-deprived, but happy to have been there and to have learned and shared so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment