Friday, August 5, 2011

Ann Arbor, MI


Monday, August 1

My friend Shevon, who was a colleague back in my SPA days in the mid-90s, has lived in Michigan for nine years. I miss her very much, and our visit reminded me why. It was great to see my friend again.

Shevon had been out in Seattle all last week, visiting family. She had flown home overnight on a redeye. She came out to my campground Monday to take a look at my “rig,” and we had a nice long chat under the awning of the Champagne Chevy.




For all of you who have reminded me that I have not yet posted any photos of me or the van for whom this blog is named, you all can thank Shevon for these photos. She took them that afternoon.

We talked for hours, noshed on a few snacks, then realized that it was already late afternoon. We then headed in to Ann Arbor for some dinner and a tour around the University of Michigan campus, where Shevon works.

It struck me how nice it was to be in a university town again. It took me back to college times in Harvard Square, which was just a quick ride from Tufts.

UM is a beautiful campus. 44,000 students! Gulp – that’s an entire city.  J  Not too many students around, though, since it was summer. We had a nice walk around campus.




Then Shevon took us back to our campsite and headed home to get some much-needed sleep.

I built my first campfire that night. And I have to say … it was a bit of a dud. We were staying at more of a grassy campground, not woody. I couldn’t find enough small and medium-sized wood for the big logs I had, so the big ones didn’t ignite. We went to sleep instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment