Friday, August 5, 2011

Our First Traffic “Incident”


Sunday, July 31

I used the WiFi again this morning and got my fill before heading out on the road. Before we left the Cleveland campground, we said good-bye to our little friend the pot-bellied pig that we’d met while we were there.  J



The drive to Ann Arbor was about 3.5 hours. I learned that the state of Ohio is very flat.

While we were driving, I decided to go and make a quick visit to Detroit. My friend in Ann Arbor, Shevon, had mentioned a few things to do in Detroit if we had the time. One of them was an outdoor park on Belle Isle, which both Auggie and I could do without a visit to daycare involved, and it was a nice, sunny day. At a rest stop, I rerouted our path on my phone and we set off. 

You know you are in Michigan when you pass a massive Ford factory on your way – this is car country here!

We were at a red light, following our driving instructions. When it turned green, I turned left … into three lanes of oncoming traffic. Luckily, though, the oncoming traffic was stopped at a red light and I quickly stopped the van about ten feet in, recognizing what I’d done.

As luck would have it, so did the cop who was behind me.

Whooosh … he zoomed by me, put his flashers on and ran his siren so that traffic wouldn’t come at me. I quickly put my window down as he got out and barely got two words out of my mouth before he yelled at me “TURN AROUND!"  “TURN AROUND AND PULL OVER UP THERE!” (all-caps on because he really was yelling J)

Yes, officer, I sure will.

I looked at Auggie and said,” Auggz, I think I might have my first ticket.” And then, that sick feeling came into my stomach as you know you’ve got an unfriendly cop on the way to tell you all the ways you are a hazard on the road.  I thought to myself, “Oh, geez. I really didn’t try to goof up. Do I think he’ll buy that?”

I pulled in to the gas station he indicated, rolled down my window and started locating my driver's license and registration. In the rearview mirror, I could see him getting out of his car and checking out my license plate. “See – Maryland – I’m not from here …,” I thought.

And then, as the cop approached, I took hold of Auggie (he has growled/barked at men in uniform before …) and put my window down, preparing my most contrite voice and apology.

Almost simultaneously, we said:

CK: I went the wrong way, didn't I? 
Cop: Were you a little confused back there?
CK: Yes, officer, I was. I’ve got a dog in here.
Cop: Is it just you and the dog?
CK: Yes, sir. It is.
Cop: You pulled the wrong way into traffic.
CK: Yes, sir. I know that now. I was confused about how to get onto Jefferson.
Cop: What is that on top of your van? With the grill on it? Is that an air conditioner?
CK: Yes, sir.
Cop: That’s a pretty nice-looking van you’ve got.
CK: Thank you. We like it.
Cop: Which way you headed?
CK: Down Jefferson, the other way.
Cop: Drive safely out there. Let me pull out of your way first.

Meanwhile, the other cop had been looking in the passenger window the whole time, which I’d only just then noticed. Checking to see if I had any stowaways? Checking out the van?

In any event, whew. 

I pulled through the gas station and pulled back to the spot I was before the “altercation” happened. This time I pulled properly onto Jefferson and went along my merry way.

I finally made it to Belle Isle. As it was a sparkling sunny Sunday afternoon, there were tons of people out, having picnics and chilling on the island. We stopped close to the beach that faces the city of Detroit. Here’s a view of the city skyline; unfortunately, it doesn’t show how beautiful and blue-green the water was.



We walked a bit near the beach, till some employee told me I couldn’t be there with the dog, that it was a safety area for kids and we had to cross the street. We crossed the street, then, and sat by the van, checking messages and a few emails. I actually thought it was good to be by the van, since it felt very conspicuous and “shiny”, sticking out a bit like a sore thumb.

All of a sudden, some guy came around the corner of the van and was sorta startled to see us there. We were a bit startled to see him, too. Auggie started curling his lip, quickly got up and took a step toward him and got a low rumble going.

I quickly grabbed Auggie’s collar, but didn’t tell him “no.” I didn’t know who this guy was, and if he thinks I have a vicious dog, good.

The guy asked me about the van (I tell you, this van was certainly a conversation piece today!). I answered his question or two, then he left.

I honestly think that guy was surprised we were there with the van. And he was intimidated by my dog. Good boy, Auggie. My dog is on alert – I like it.

Since we weren’t going to have a picnic and there wasn’t much more for us to do on Belle Isle, we left. Had a very quick drive through the city – here is a picture of the sparkly GM world headquarters, which I snapped quickly while stopped at a red light.



Then we drove off to our campsite at Haas Lake Park north of Ann Arbor and settled in for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment